Breast cancer is a kind of cancer that develops from breast cells. Breast cancer usually starts off in the inner lining of milk ducts or the lobules that supply them with milk. A malignant tumor can spread to other parts of the body. A breast cancer that started off in the lobules is known as lobular carcinoma, while one that developed from the ducts is called ductal carcinoma.
The vast majority of breast cancer cases occur in females. This article focuses on breast cancer in women.
Breast cancer is the most common invasive cancer in females worldwide. It accounts for 16% of all female cancers and 22.9% of invasive cancers in women. 18.2% of all cancer deaths worldwide, including both males and females, are from breast cancer.
Posted 03-04-15; Medical News Today
This annual report provides the estimated numbers of new cancer cases and deaths in 2015, as well as current cancer incidence, mortality, and survival statistics and information on cancer symptoms, risk factors, early detection, and treatment. In 2015, there will be an estimated 1,658,370 new cancer cases diagnosed and 589,430 cancer deaths in the US.
Posted February 2, 2015
What are breast changes?
Many breast changes are changes in how your breast or nipple looks or feels. You may notice a lump or firmness in your breast or under your arm. Or perhaps the size or shape of your breast has changed. Your nipple may be pointing or facing inward (inverted) or feeling tender. The skin on your breast, areola, or nipple may be scaly, red, or swollen. You may have nipple discharge, which is an abnormal fluid coming from the nipple.
If you have these or other breast changes, talk with your health care provider to get these changes checked as soon as possible.
Posted: January 1, 2015; Source: National Cancer Institute
Every breast cancer is different at the molecular level. Understanding breast cancer as 10 diseases, rather than one, will change how it is diagnosed and treated for future generations.
Posted: December 1, 2014; Source: Cancer Treatment Centers of America
Just the words “breast cancer” can set women’s fears churning. No one needs myths and half-truths to amp up that distress. Below, experts deconstruct commons myths, offering facts that may ease your fears—or at least help you better understand where to focus concerns. Myth: “Breast cancer is one disease.” Truth: There are different types of breast cancer, each with its own cause and behavior, says Sara Hurvitz, MD, Director of the Hematology/Oncology Breast Cancer Program at UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center. As types become better understood, treatments will likely become more specific, targeting each type of cancer.
Posted: November 5, 2014: Source: Examiner.net
Breast cancer is probably one of the most feared diagnosis a woman can get. The mere mention of it conjures up images of death, despair, or at best, disfigurement.
According to breastcancer.org, one in eight women will develop invasive breast cancer in her lifetime, and nearly 40,000 women lose their lives to the disease each year.
With such odds stacked against you, what, if anything, can you do to prevent becoming a statistic? In truth, there are many measures you can take—each of which will help decrease your risk.
It’s important to realize that less than 10 percent of all breast cancer cases are thought to be related to genetic risk factors. The remainder—90 percent—appear to be triggered by environmental factors.
Metastatic breast cancer occurs when cancer cells spread to another part of the body. Breast cancer can be metastatic at the time of diagnosis, or following treatment. Cancer cells can travel through the bloodstream and spread to other organs and parts of the body.
The most common sites of metastases are the breast or area where the breast used to be, the chest wall, the lymph nodes, the bones, the lungs or around the lungs, the liver or the brain. If you have been treated for breast cancer and now have cancer cells in any of these areas, it is most likely breast cancer that has spread.
Metastatic breast cancer is different to recurrent breast cancer. Recurrent breast cancer is cancer that returns to the same part of the same breast after treatment, rather than to other parts of the body. When cancer develops in the second breast, it is almost always a new cancer, not a recurrence.
Posted September 23, 2014; Source: Cancer Treatment Centers of America